Spoonin' some slurpy stuff about the world's drippiest drool

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Moroccan Beef Meatball Tagine

Moroccan Beef Meatball Tagine



Meatball tagine?! That's not soup, that's stew. And what happened to the Transylvanian Goulash?

So, the thing I'm finding about blogging, is it is really easy to get behind. I had made the tagine a couple of weeks ago, and just didn't have a chance to write about it yet. It just didn't seem right to move the goulash ahead in the blog line.

The recipe is from Bon Appetit, January 2010, but I found it on Epicurious, when I was searching for a quick meat stew. A tagine is a Moroccan stew. Ok, technically this is not a soup, but the broth (hah, soup term) is so delicious you will want to to use a spoon, and for me, that is close enough.


I like this dish for a few reasons:
1. If you are organized and prepare properly, it takes about a third of the time of regular beef stew.
2. It meets a major criterion for moving from recipe to favorite - it excites four out of the five senses - glorious colors, tantalizing aromas, multiple textures and complex flavors.
3. The ingredients include saffron - 'nuf said.
4. The meatballs are made with minced garlic. So is the stew broth. Lots of garlic. Mmmm.
5. It only requires two cups of beef broth, so doesn't overly deplete my dwindling supply (yes, there is a broth making weekend in my immediate future).
6. It cooks in the oven leaving the cooktop free.
7. The meatballs cook in the stew, leaving the cooktop spatter free.
8. Did I mention all the garlic?


Like most soups/stews, this one was even better two or three days later. I served it over couscous, which gave it a bit more body, but wasn't starchy like rice. You may want good bread too, just so none of that stew broth goes to waste. You may also want to go to the gym, so that none of the meatballs go to waist.


As for the Transylvanian Goulash - stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment