Spoonin' some slurpy stuff about the world's drippiest drool

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Corn Pasta with Hickory Smoke Rubbed Pork

Corn pasta. If you are trying to be gluten free it is an option. Lately, I have been trying to reduce my gluten intake - mostly out of curiosity at the impact this reduction would have. So far, I have lost a few pounds, maybe or maybe not due to glutenlessness, and I feel better digestively - definitely due to glutenlessness.





So, in thinking about what to do with corn pasta, I felt like a seasoning adjustment was in order, for anything I put on top. Actually a seasoning elevation I suppose. Spicy, smoky, but with a sweetness that flour based pasta might not stand up to.

For the sauce, Italian diced tomatoes. In my opinion, there is a difference. I have taste tested many diced tomato brands, side by side. The Italian brands, certified or not, are heads above the rest in flavor. Add fresh oregano coarsely chopped, salt and pepper. A good dose of pepper - I kept tasting until it was spicy, and robust - as defined by me - so just taste until you are happy with the flavor.

For the meat, I went with pork chops. Marinated overnight in olive oil, apple cider vinegar and a hickory smoke rub that I found at a spice shop in Charlotte:




The flavor of BBQ potato chips - smoked salt, paprika, garlic, onion, pepper, oregano - yum. I broiled the pork - four minutes or so per side for a 1" thick chop. Then let it rest about five minutes before slicing.

One note on the pasta - the package says nine minutes - start checking at six - mine was a tad soft at eight minutes - I should have checked it earlier.

All in all, other than marinating overnight, this is a quick (30 minutes) dinner that has a lot of flavor, no gluten and is not over the top in fat or calories. Enjoy.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Rockville, MD

No comments:

Post a Comment